Section Seven

A commentary regarding the Political, Social, Cultural and Psychological state of today's world; expressed in terms of loving sarcasm.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I know how you have to live inside yourself, isolate yourself because emotionally and mentally you have no equals here. How, more often than not, you have to compromise your thinking just to be understood. How you long for someone with the capacity to meet you where you live. On your level. (credit: Lawrence Hertzog)

Monday, June 26, 2006

THANKS...
To the guy who flashed his headlights to me, the other morning. Sure, it was a 35 mph zone, and I was... pause while I plead the 5th... but you saved me. Not 100 yards down the road, there was the bear, drinking his coffee, reading the paper, and clocking the cars. This particular occurance made me start thinking about two things: 1) the appalling lack of common courtesy while driving (except for this one instance) ; or 2) the blatant ignorance with regards to "rules of the road."

I recently saw a headline (somewhere) that stated "road rage on the rise!" I have often (not to say unjustly) been accused of road rage. I'll admit to being a little tightly wound (at times), but as one of my sisters said, "the rise in road rage may be inversely related to the decline in drinking and driving." - for those of you who know me, this is all in good fun. For those of you who don't, I do not endorse drinking and driving. However, I digress. I can honestly say, my "rage" is always as a result of some numbskull doing something that is either disrespectful or downright dangerous. I'll admit the first is a much lesser offense than the second. But, who is addressing the "rise of driving discourteously and/or dangerously."

For the record, I always make an effort to drive courteously. For those of you out there who aren't certain about what this entails, see the following list:

  1. Yield the right of way, when you're not entitled to it. This means, if you're pulling onto the highway, and there's a car in the entrance lane, do not try to beat them or to push them over into the middle lane. Your visibility is not as good as the driver already on the highway, and you don't know what you may be pushing them into.
  2. If you are at a multi-way stop sign, the person who was there first is entitled to pull through first. If you arrive at the stop sign at the same time that another car arrives at his stop sign, the car to the right has the right of way.
  3. If you are making a left-hand turn, oncoming traffic has the right of way. Wait for all cars to pass, before making the turn.
  4. Indicate to cars behind you that you intend to turn by using your turn signals BEFORE slamming on your brakes. What's the use of using your turn-signal AFTER you've slammed on your brakes, to let me know why?
  5. Take the right of way, when you're entitled to it. It's frustrating to be at a stop sign and after a lot of pantomining gestures between drivers, take a chance that they really ARE yeilding. Thanks, but we would both be through the stop by the time we worked it all out.
  6. If you are going inordinately slow (below the speed limit), pull over and allow other cars to pass you. In Washington state, it is the law that any car with a five car line behind them, must pull over and allow those cars to pass (I just loved that, while I was there). In Arizona, the drivers just did it out of courtesy (Thanks, Arizona drivers!).
  7. If the driver in front of you is going (at least) the speed limit, do not tailgate them, just because you're a little more daring. Wait for a legal chance to pass, and well... always obey the laws of the road ;)
Now, say some jerk decides that he DOES own the road, and to heck with everybody else on it? Are the rest of us just supposed to "take it?" Perhaps a better man (woman) would. But, I'm afraid I am not a better woman. With regards to discourtesy, what is the appropriate reaction to the guy in the left lane who just won't pass, and won't get over? Usually, I'll flash my headlights a couple of times, just to let them know I'm there. BTW, for all of you ignorant drivers out there, this IS considered a courteous way of letting you know I'm there, and would like to use the passing lane for the purpose for which it is intended! If that doesn't work, I'll pass on the right, pull up in front of them, and go even slower. Invariably, it makes THEM get into the right hand lane, after which time I, and the many cars lined up behind him can continue on our way.

If a driver cuts me off, I'll honk the horn (length of time is directly related to how far I skidded after slamming on my brakes to keep from plowing into the guy). Or, I will confess (blushingly) to tail-gating for a while. My rationalization being that they MUST want me to be that close because why else would they have pulled out RIGHT in front of me? What really gets me mad, though, is when a driver does something that is really stupid, putting me and/or my passengers in danger. Here's my question, what is an appropriate response? Does anything do any good? Do those of us who are courteous and safe drivers just diminish into oblivion because more and more people are ignorant of basic driving courtesy? I invite comments.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I see your point, I'm scared to be on the road at the same time as you. I hope to never meet up with you in a dark four way stop.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

AHH, the "Rules of the Road"...

Well, here in Southern California, the only rule of the road that exists anymore is "Nonconfrontation".

As gunfire can spontaineously erupt, one's life expectancy is directly related to the total lack of eye contact one makes with fellow travellers.

Everyone goes with the flow and frequently uses turn signals. But when that one idividual who has no knowledge of or desire to follow the "rules of the road" flies by at 100+mph, we take comfort in knowing that his ability to negotiate the 90° turn ahead will likey be insufficient, resulting in one less bad guy for the day.

This is definately, the survival of the 'invisable'.

Go Navy!

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a boring post

6:37 PM  
Blogger M. Alexander said...

I recommend the bumper sticker:

"Keep honking. I'm reloading".

After the driver behind you gets done laughing nervously they will treat you with a good deal more respect.

You also forgot the rule of thumb for rotaries- those traffic nightmares that we in Massachusetts are blessed with. Who has the right of way in a rotary? The car that is the oldest, most beat up, rusted out hulk. Why? Because that car is driven by an illegal alien. They don't have car insurance anyway. Allow them to go on their way, perhaps even pulling over to give them a safe head start.

6:48 PM  
Blogger tradcatholic said...

Well, very interesting from a person in a state which has no real inhabitants anyway -- just those smart enough not to put up with having their income taxed by the state.

Here in the south, we are very respectful, especially to one another on the road. 60% of us drive pick-up trucks and we KNOW most of us are 'packin' which is a real equalizer. The rest of us solid citizens drive SUV's for REAL protection on the road. The speed limit on our highways is 70mph, not the whimpy 55-65 in less adventurous states (like NH). Most vehicles have odometers which begin with the numbers '200,xxx', and carry a panting dog hanging out the half open window in the front to get some fresh southern air to dilute the smokey environment of the inside. We can even watch tobacco and cotton grow as we sail along.

Most of our problems stem from the escapees from the North passing through on their way to the 2nd house in FLA for the winter, and the fleeing masses from FLA with campers and mobile homes escaping to the Norht from the heat in the summer. None of these folks can drive - and cause most of the accidents. Luckily, they are the victims too. Our state motto is "survival of the fittest". Welcome, y'all!!

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home